Thursday, June 19, 2008

Vox T-60 Bass Amplifier


Vox is a brand name that brings up thoughts of both really cool and really marginal instruments and amps. I love Vox Mando-Guitars, Vox AC-30 amps, and some of their guitars look pretty cool (and some are even decent sounding). I've got a friend who owns one of those Vox Tonelab guitar amp modeling things for recording and he swears by it because it's got a tube you can see. One thing that I always think of is that Vox is always very identifiable as Vox.

So, when I opened up Craig's List one day and saw a Vox T-60 bass amp for sale I was very curious. I owned an inexpensive bass at the time and thought it would be cool to at least have a small bass amp around the house in case an impromptu jam session broke out...you know, like in Josie and the Pussycats. So, after a little online research, I emailed the guy and offered him $200 for the amp and he accepted. I went and picked up the bass and got it home and couldn't wait to plug it in. This amp has 60 watts of power, a 12" speaker with a horn, active and passive inputs, that cool Vox vintage amp look, and, most importantly, what they call the "Bassilator" circuit for low-end enhancement. It's a button you push that's sort of like the "loudness" button on those old silver-faced Sanyo stereos from the '70s that sound so good.

It just fattens things up with a nice bottom end...like my lady. D'oh.

Since I'm not really a bass player I won't (can't) go on and on about this amp, but I can tell you that it is definitely worth the price of admission and makes an excellent practice amp or for smaller gigs. It can kick it out pretty well with some nice tone. A few times a jam session did actually break out (but not like Josie and the Pussycats) and each time the bass player was more than happy and always asked me about the amp. There are some other Vox bass amps that look sort of similar...maybe a Vox T-40 or something like that...and those really suck from what I've heard. But this T-60 is a nice buy and, in the theme of this site, I wish I had that one back.
--

5 comments:

Email us at said...

So how'd you end up losing it?

Jaimie Muehlhausen said...

I lost it in the "great sell-off of 2007" when I was trying to get money together to pay for my custom brazilian rosewood M.J. Franks dreadnaught acoustic. Too many of these stories are related to buying that guitar and buying the black Ehlers jumbo acoustic which I've previously written about. But I can honestly say that in both instances (but ESPECIALLY the Franks), it was a all worth it. - Jaimie

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

i got one. dont know anything about it but its going on ebay this week. prob tomorrow or wendsday. ebay id is roscoe1469

Colingwood said...

Get it a step further to built in Digital Modeling. Another field gaining steam fast is digital building amps. best bass guitar amp