Saturday, April 18, 2009

Squier Classic Vibe Duo Sonic


Story submitted by Jackson D. Green


This thing did not have a long life in my hands, but for the time I had it, I loved every minute.

I purchased this guitar on Craigslist a few months after it came out for a relatively cheap 165 USD (especially because these currently sell new for 330). Now, I know a bargain when I see it, and I love the Fender Mustang, so I snapped it up in a heart beat. The seller was nice enough to ship the guitar to my house for no extra charge. A few days later, it had arrived. I can't even describe the feeling I got pulling it out of the box. It was just such an amazing moment, and I knew that this guitar was truly a special instrument.

I can't think of one thing I DIDN'T like about the guitar, other than the toggle switch which broke during an especially rigorous practice session and was easily replaced.

The aesthetics were great, the neck rivaled that of an MIJ Mustang, and the pickups rang rich and jangly, with plenty of warmth coming from the basswood body. Unfortunately, she never saw a gig.

I needed money to pay off some friends, so it was either get rid of the Duo Sonic, or get rid of the Fender Cyclone, the first Fender I ever owned, a birthday present from my parents, and an all around great guitar. The choice was made, the Duo Sonic had to go. I sold it on Craigslist a few weeks later (I was sick the day I actually sold it, go figure) for $200. I have since recovered economically, and recently purchased a red Squier Affinity Series Duo Sonic from the '90s, which I'm hoping will fill the void of the great guitar I let slip away.
---

4 comments:

Guitar said...

Hey, it's Jack again... Just thought I'd let everyone know: I got my 90s Squier Duo-Sonic today, and it DOES fill the void. I couldn't be happier!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Jack ! ;-)
I am happy to hear that ....
Those classic vibe Squiers are really great guitars ...
Peder.

Brian R said...

New to the blog, great stuff to read about. I got a '63 Duo Sonic as my first guitar in 1978 because it just fit my hand perfectly. I held onto it for 25 yrs as my only electric until selling it for $400 which I used for a special Surf Green 72RI Tele Thinline (which I've had for 7 yrs now). I always played it with pickup switch in the middle because of all the noise through either pickup.

bluzgy@yahoo.com said...

do you have any idea what the body is made from?
where did you find the replacement toggle?
FYI - i put a couple of texas special start p/u's in mine and it's crazy cool...