Tuesday, April 22, 2008

'63 Fender Reverb Unit Reissue

Guest Story by Oliver Fiedler of Deliverance Machine

The one piece of gear that I really kick myself for selling is my ’63 Fender Reverb Unit. 10 years ago I bought one of these at Guitar Trader for about $360. The reason being that my Sovtek amp does not have any reverb, and I wanted something real vintage sounding and tube driven. Well, I got vintage sounding all right; I got sweet vintage reverb heaven!

There was no limit to the beautiful, lush sounds I could conjure from this thing. Plus, the brown tolex gave it a nice cool vibe and I got a lot of compliments on it. Life was good. Playing was good.

One day, however, I was incredibly broke and needed money for studio rent….ASAP! So, I go back to Guitar Trader years later, regrettably, with reverb unit in hand. They offered me $100 for it. $100!! “That’s highway robbery!!” I wanted to scream, but I didn’t. I took the money and walked out so I could pay studio rent. Needless to say I was saddened and angry.

I wanted to kick my own ass.

Well, it’s been 6 years since that fateful day and I still want to kick my own ass for selling that. In fact, if you see me around, kick me. Kick me hard and swiftly. No explanation needed.


Mick said...

sad story my friend. I have a few similar stories... as does most of us starving musicians! Good news is, save your coin and get one second hand! They're out there to be gotten for a good price!

Jaimie Muehlhausen said...

Mick, send me a story. I really want this blog to fill up with funny/interesting/sad stories from readers.