Tuesday, April 22, 2008

'63 Fender Reverb Unit Reissue

Guest Story by Oliver Fiedler of Deliverance Machine

The one piece of gear that I really kick myself for selling is my ’63 Fender Reverb Unit. 10 years ago I bought one of these at Guitar Trader for about $360. The reason being that my Sovtek amp does not have any reverb, and I wanted something real vintage sounding and tube driven. Well, I got vintage sounding all right; I got sweet vintage reverb heaven!

There was no limit to the beautiful, lush sounds I could conjure from this thing. Plus, the brown tolex gave it a nice cool vibe and I got a lot of compliments on it. Life was good. Playing was good.

One day, however, I was incredibly broke and needed money for studio rent….ASAP! So, I go back to Guitar Trader years later, regrettably, with reverb unit in hand. They offered me $100 for it. $100!! “That’s highway robbery!!” I wanted to scream, but I didn’t. I took the money and walked out so I could pay studio rent. Needless to say I was saddened and angry.

I wanted to kick my own ass.


Well, it’s been 6 years since that fateful day and I still want to kick my own ass for selling that. In fact, if you see me around, kick me. Kick me hard and swiftly. No explanation needed.

2 comments:

Mick said...

sad story my friend. I have a few similar stories... as does most of us starving musicians! Good news is, save your coin and get one second hand! They're out there to be gotten for a good price!

Jaimie Muehlhausen said...

Mick, send me a story. I really want this blog to fill up with funny/interesting/sad stories from readers.

Jaimie